Since its formation the BID has implemented some great projects for Fremantle. We have also given out a variety of grants to help support local businesses with new events.
The BID runs a number of different types of projects based on feedback and ideas from our member businesses. We have also contributed approximately $60,000 through funding grants to support new events initiated by local businesses.
The types of projects we currently undertake include:
- Street Activation Groups – bringing businesses and property owners together to develop activities, resources, share ideas and report to each other and the BID,
- Assisting businesses to maximise marketing and sales opportunities during events and festivals throughout the City,
- Provision of business and marketing training for members,
- School holiday programs that encourage visitors to move around the City to discover the variety of businesses and public spaces here,
- Infrastructure projects to provide amenities in the short term,
- Support for member businesses running events, and
- Member and customer (visitors to Fremantle) surveys.
Current Projects (2016)
- Christmas in Fremantle including the Long Table Christmas Dinner on historic High St, Santa in Freo, Christmas Windows competition and support for the lighting of the Christmas Tree.
- #Freo-Summerholiday – January school holiday activity. More information to follow.
- Four Fabulous Days in Freo – more information coming soon.
- Business Training Seminars – ongoing.
- Pedestrian Statistics – ongoing.
- Member recruitment and ongoing maintenance of membership database.
Completed Projects 2016
- #Freo_treasurehunt and “Talk Like a Pirate Day” activities for September/October school holidays.
- Support for Little Italy activities.
- Pokemon Go Hunt
- Winter Windows Competition
- Winter Festival
- Activation of Pioneer park and Kings Square during school holidays.
- Street Activation – Brightening of Westgate Mall, Chinese New Year in High St East, Giant Board games in Kings Square, support and facilitation for West End Weekender, Winter Festival and Pokemon Go bunting on Market St, South Terrace and Essex St.
- Painting of doors on Cantonment St to add colour and prevent graffiti.
- Refresh of Fremantle BID planter boxes.
Completed Projects 2015
- Street activation – Colour Bombing High St East, Colour bombing in Paddy Troy Mall, Fairy Lights Balls in Paddy Troy and High St Mall, handbag planters, Anzac Day poppies on trees in Essex St.
- Purchase and installation at Bathers Beach of Tony Jones sculpture, “Witness 2. 1915” in support of Sculptures@Bathers.
- Installation of street furniture and light projector in Little Market St in preparation for “Market St Piaza” trial.
- Sponsorship of Winter Garden Festival and facilitation of member business involvement at event.
- Winter Garden way-finding and provision of winter window kits for members.
- Facilitation of member involvement in Arthur Grady Day.
- Support for Inside Out Day in Pioneer Park – lead by fSpace.
- Provision of Freo 6160 Calico Bags for members to purchase at wholesale prices in small lots.
- Responsible Cafes – Distributor of cups and promotional materials.
Completed Projects (2014)
- Establishment of 5 Street Activation Groups.
- Street activation – Colour Bombing High St East, jeans planters in Market St.
- iPads installed at the Fremantle Passenger Terminal to provide visitors with access to information on local attractions and events.
- Hosted David West workshop on place activation.
- Collaboration and supported member involvement in Arthur Grady Day and Hidden Treasures.
- Funding Program administered (see below).
- ShopWatch program developed in conjunction with Police Department, including provision of resources to members (hard copy and online).
Completed Projects (2013)
- Development of BID website.
- Development of branding and associated materials.
- Installation of pedestrian counting equipment for ongoing data collection.
- Provision of planter boxes to member businesses.
- Funding Program established and the first round of funding undertaken (see below for funded projects).
- Up-lighting of heritage buildings in High St.
- “Tuesday Tunes” – provision of music at lunchtimes during winter.
- Customer survey.
- Assisted in the Tall Ships Festival
- Installation of musical chimes in High St Mall to encourage people to stay in the area for longer.
- Christmas Carols in Kings Square every weekend in December.
Completed Projects (2012 – six months of operation only)
- Funding Agreement negotiated with City of Fremantle.
- Development of 5 year business plan.
- Business development processes undertaken including establishment of financial, administration and governance procedures including development of membership database and marketing plans.
- Member recruitment and consultation.
Grants Program (Concluded in February 2015)
- Captain’s Lane SummerFest – Bathers Beach Arts Precinct (2015)
- Lighting of Trees in High St Mall – Fremantle Property Services (2015)
- Sunset Markets – J Shed Art Studio (2013)
- Sculptures at Bathers – Kidogo Art House (2013)
- Art Adrift – Sandpiper Productions (2013)
- Heritage QR Codes – Fremantle Society (2013)
- Fremantle Dockers Grand Final – City of Fremantle (2013)
- Wildflower Exhibition – Fremantle Markets (2013)
- Photo Competition – Fremantle Woolstores (2013)
- Tall Ships Promotion (2013)
- Fremantle Business Awards – Fremantle Chamber of Commerce (2013)